Prev: Re: Happy Birthday, USA Next: Re: Happy Birthday, USA

Re: Happy Birthday, USA

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:58:58 +1000
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday, USA

From: "Glenn M Wilson" <warbeads@juno.com>

> Embarrassing thought - When is Australia/New Zealand's official
> 'birthdays'?

New Zealand : Feb 6th - "Waitangi Day"
celebrating the signing of the treaty of Waitangi between the
Maori and the Pake Ha (Europeans) in 1840.

Australia : Jan 27th - "Australia Day"
commemorating the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788.

A good guide to US/Australian Holidays is at
http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/holidays.html

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>

>My question is, is Australia Day a bigger celebration than the Queen's
Birthday, or vice versa?

The Queen's Birthday is celebrated on the first Monday of June,
except in Western Australia, when it's on the Monday closest
to September 30th. (September 29th this year), just to confuse you.

Australia Day is bigger, but we let off the fireworks on the Queen's
Birthday. Both days are smaller than ANZAC day.

Prev: Re: Happy Birthday, USA Next: Re: Happy Birthday, USA