Prev: Re: Full Thrust question... Next: Thanks!

Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties

From: Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@a...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:58:59 -0700
Subject: Re: SG2 Platoon leader casualties

<tpope@exchange.cs.cmu.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>A) The platoon commander could continue to transfer actions while
>>suppressed.
>
>No, it can't. Page 18, under "Suppression of Infantry Units" states
that the
>only actions a unit can conduct while suppressed are:
>
>1) defending itself against a close assault;
>
>2) carry out a Reorganise action, but only if it is cover;
>
>3) the unit's leader may carry out Observe, Communicate and Remove
Suppression
>Leader Actions.
>
>Number 3 is the important one. Some people think that a "Communicate"
action
>is a "Transfer Action". It is _not_. If you look at the list of Leader
Actions
>on page 16 you'll see that they are listed as Communicate, Observe,
Remove
>Suppression, Form Detached Element, Rally Unit, and Transfer Action.
>
>According to the rules on page 18, a unit can not conduct a Form
Detached
>Element, Rally Unit, or Transfer Action if it is suppressed.
>
>The unfortunate part is that a Communicate action isn't really defined.
>"Communications" is, and the mechanism for communicating -- often used
in the
>Transfer Action -- is explained, but there's no clearly defined list of
what
>you do with a Communicate Action. My take on it is that Communicate
Actions
>are used to call for reinforcements, artillery, aerospace attacks, etc.
It
can
>also be used for scenario defined purposes. The point still stands,
though,
>that three actions are listed on page 18 as being allowed while
suppressed
>(Communicate, Observe, Remove Suppression), but "Transfer Action" isn't
one of
>those three.

I'm not sure about this. On page 16 Transfering Action : "For a superior
officer to transfer an activation, he must make a succesful
Communication
action in the same way as a normal communications". So, to me, it look
like
the Transfering Action is a special form of Communications action.

Also, calling artillery is a special form of Communicatins action like
you
said. It is implied on top of page 18 (second colums) Suppression of
infantry units: "as the leader himself may still make OBSERVE and
COMMUNICATE actions while his unit is suppressed, in some cases it might
well be more important to call in that fire mission than ...". So this
means that calling artillery can be done while suppressed as it fall
under
the communicate action.

Anyway, I see your point. It's open to interpretation I think...

All the game I played, we allow transfering action while suppressed. I'm
under the impression that preventing that will just increase by a big
factor the "command squad in the corner" syndrome.

Yves

Prev: Re: Full Thrust question... Next: Thanks!