Prev: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!? Next: [SG2] GMS/P against infantry?

SG2 Platoon leader casualties

From: Thomas Pope <tpope@e...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:32:54 -0400
Subject: SG2 Platoon leader casualties

The first game of Stargrunt I played in over 2 years finally occurred
last
weekend.  We messed up a few rules, got confused on some others but
generally had a good time, even though I was pretty well trounced.

One situation that came up was a little unfortunate, and the ruling we
made
(after reading a bit) is probably one I'll not make in the future.
Unfortunatly, it ended up being the difference between a win and a loss
for
me, or at least a close game and complete rout.

I was playing a standard (straight out of the rulebook) NSL platoon
against
another standard FSE platoon.  The FSE was defending, but caught a bit
off
guard, having to move forward into position.

The FSE command squad made a rush for a rock formation in the center of
the
battlefield but stopped short.	It seemed safe, but they hadn't counted
on
the mobility of my PA squad.  The PA got up on a hilltop with LOS to the
command squad and opened fire, pinning them down.  Needless to say, I
was
quite pleased by this, thinking that I'd just executed a masterstroke!

Over the next two turns the PA squad continued to suppress and close on
the
command squad, before getting pinned down (and unluckily decimated) by
the
combined efforts of two other FSE squads.  The problem was, I'd already
killed the enemy platoon commander.  Unfortunatly, the rules state that:

A) The platoon commander could continue to transfer actions while
suppressed.

B) Killing the platoon commander results in nothing more than a
confidence
test (passed) and an additional suppression (ignored as above).  Command
transfers immediately to the next in line, who rolls for change in LV
(unchanged) and continues to transfer actions.

Finally, with an 8-man squad and counting casualties as potential
targets,
it would have taken another 2+ rounds of fire to wipe out the squad.
Even
though I nominally killed the platoon leader TWICE, the FSE command
squad
had just as much affect on the rest of the combat as my NSL command
squad,
who never drew a single shot and never did anything but transfer
actions.

So...  I'm reading the rules again cover-to-cover to see if I missed
anything.  I have some ideas on how to handle this in the future, but
I'm
just wondering what house rules and/or errata exist (if any) to cover
this
situation?

Tom

Prev: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!? Next: [SG2] GMS/P against infantry?