Prev: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!? Next: FTJava V0.10 has been released

Re: [SG] 15mm Pics

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:26:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] 15mm Pics

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I was under the impression that the
Sikh
faith required only that men have their heads covered, NOT that they
specifically wear turbans (I think the turban is just the *traditional*
headcover, not a required item).

Perhaps a Sikh soldier could wear a thin cloth cover and a regular
helmet,
thereby making sure that their head and hair are completely covered and
that they still get the protection of a helmet.....

???

We've seen a few interesting changes to some old Canadian traditions to
respect the Sikh turbans, though - RCMP officers with Turban instead of
the
traditional Stetson brimmed hat....  Then again, RCMP officers don't
dodge
shell fragments very often, so don't really need combat helmets.

Anyway, maybe somone onlist knows more about Sikh culture and can fill
us
in further?

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: Fiji in space but back on earth, oy ve?!?!? Next: FTJava V0.10 has been released