Prev: revised prices : (was Long) Starguard miniatures and rules for sale! Next: Re: IF ships

Re: [Semi-OT]Virtual Fleet Site

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 20:50:45 +1000
Subject: Re: [Semi-OT]Virtual Fleet Site

>From time to time, I've briefly mentioned in passing my experiences on
board
a number of warships, especially submarines.

Have a look at
http://www.navy.gov.au/vf/home.asp
(requires Java to be enabled - but it's worth it)

The section on submarines, and the page
http://www.navy.gov.au/vf/frm_26_158.htm in particular,
shows what I meant when I said I've sometimes "slept on top of a
torpedo".
You can see at least one berth rigged there.

And the rest, such as http://www.navy.gov.au/vf/frm_26_206.htm
and http://www.navy.gov.au/vf/frm_26_157.htm shows that there really
*was* more room there than in most of the boat.

Sub aficionados will see that the view in
http://www.navy.gov.au/vf/frm_26_209.htm
is very similar indeed to that on a Type XXI U-Boat from 1945.

I've also spent quite a few hours in the CiC of Destroyers, see
http://www.navy.gov.au/vf/frm_10_64.htm, usually at the console
that the bloke is standing beside. Good old (and I do mean old)
Water-cooled OJ-194Vs, with the auxiliary DDI screens on top.
The guy who's standing by the console strategically blocks the
view of the missile control panel by the way, and the place is
a little less crowded now the Ikara system's been removed.

Mostly, the place looked more like http://www.navy.gov.au/vf/frm_1_6.htm
which shows the CiC of an FFG-7 - similar, but not identical to
the layout on a DDG.

Hope you enjoy. I did, brought back a lot of memories.

Prev: revised prices : (was Long) Starguard miniatures and rules for sale! Next: Re: IF ships