Prev: RE: Technical question Next: RE: Technical question

Re: 3D Printers

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 02:55:32 -0400
Subject: Re: 3D Printers

Late last year, I heard about a "3d printer" that used thin sheets of
paper.	The paper had some kind of contact glue on the bottom side.  A
continuous roll of these sheets would scroll by, above the model.  And a

laser would cut the outline from the paper.  Models would be built up
like this.  The result looked like it had been carved from phone book
paper.

I don't have any ideas of how much this process costs, or weather a mold

could be made from it...Certainly sounds faster though.

Donald Hosford

Michael Robert Blair wrote:

>I remember hearing or reading something about the 3-D
>printers last year or so. One used a wax as a
>temporary material for complex 3-D shapes. After the
>model is finished the wax is removed leaving the
>complete model.
>
>The UV-laser and tank of resin method is starting to
>sound so passé... Though I know that one company who
>did use it wanted to use old-fashioned resin and
>rubber to make copies as the UV and resin is so
>expensive. This was at least five years ago though.
>
>If I ever win the lottery (though I would have to
>start doing it!) I had planned to get a CAD-CAM
>milling machine; maybe a 3-D printer would be
>better...
>
>Michael

>It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others.
>Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at
http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm

Prev: RE: Technical question Next: RE: Technical question