Prev: Re: [Power Projection] Review Next: Re: [FT] Re: [Power Projection] Review

Re: [Power Projection] Review

From: Dominic Mooney <dom@c...>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 07:49:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [Power Projection] Review

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 17:25 Europe/London, devans@nebraska.edu
wrote:

> I bought PP:E with the full understanding that it might be a subset
> conpletely contained in PP:F, so conventional wisdom would be I might
> have
> just as well waited for Fleet, but I'm not sure I'm so much a fan of
> boarding rules or mystic dingus's (as I recall, BG's are ancient
> artifacts)
> that I will be needing the larger product.
>
> Everyone else should probably wait for Dominic's reply to the earlier
> question.

BGs are the one area we are still debating (as Andy is laying it out).
They are horribly complex to handle, especially as adopting the FT
combat engine merges the to-hit roll with the damage roll. I've now got
a very cleaned up conversion of HG2 into PP:F (and the HG2 has gaps you
can drive a supertanker through that I've had to plug) but my own
opinon is that they're only worth using for strategic surprise (as a
cloaking device). Why? Because nuclear missiles will rapidly kill a big
BG equipped ship by overloading it rapidly (which you could do in HG2
as well).

Cheers,

Dom

---------dom@cybergoths.u-net.com----------
      http://www.powerprojection.net/
Power Projection: "It's all about going to other people's
planets and making *them* do what *we* want."
CPO Vandenbroucke, IIN Dreadnought 'Cleon the First'.

Prev: Re: [Power Projection] Review Next: Re: [FT] Re: [Power Projection] Review