Prev: Re: DS: 6mm Civilians and Casualties Next: Re: [Power Projection] Review

[Power Projection] Review

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 00:10:36 -0400
Subject: [Power Projection] Review

Ordered from Warehouse 23, Steve Jackson Games, cost $13 US plus about
6.50 for UPS.
Card stock cover, rather busy art, full color printing.
1 page fluff text, 1 page for table of contents and credits, 17 pages
rules, 2 pages scenarios, 7 SSDs each for Imperial and Zhodani
vessels.  There's also a two-page countersheet--normal paper, should
probably be photocopied onto card stock (or just use minis)--you can
also download it from the powerprojection.net site.  Only noticed two
typos thus far (p7, first paragraph "plan-ned"; p14, last instance of
Agidda is underlined).

Systems include weapons (missiles and several varieties of beams),
defenses (nuclear dampers, meson screens, sandcaters, repulsors), fuel
(mainly for Jumps) and others which are taken from FT. There are a
couple of things on the SSDs which are not explained--the Kinunir has
a BG1 (which I imagine is a black globe forcefield, but I didn't see
any rules for it) and all ships have an unexplained grey crew symbol
next to the damage control symbol.  Two nits to pick on
abbreviatioins: there's no reason to abbreviate "Streamlined" as "SL"
and so forth, as it's easier to read the whole word; and configuration
codes (L1, L2, etc) could have been expanded so the player could
visualize the ship.

Scale is 75000km/mu and 50min/turn.

Movement is similar to FB2 vector.  Plenty of diagrams to explain it.

Fire alternates by task force, not by ship; and the rules call for
writing fire orders for each ship in the task force. If you're
fighting small battles, you'll probably want to alternate by ship
instead of by task force (in which case you don't need to write
orders); or you could write orders and execute simultaneous fire.

Effective range to target is increased if gravity or nuclear bursts
are in the way; if you have nukes on your missiles, this means you can
create your own terrain to some extent.

Each weapon rolls a single beam die; damage is adjusted up or down
depending on modifiers.  For example, you could start with a laser,
shift up for a high-powered weapon and short range, and shift down for
target armor, agile target and shooting through a sand cloud.  I'd
suggest creating a quick reference sheet with the + and - modifiers
listed by weapon, instead of grouping all offensive mods in one table
and all defensive in another.

Some very interesting ideas here.  Haven't had time to try a game,
hopefully I'll be able to post an AAR tomorrow.

Prev: Re: DS: 6mm Civilians and Casualties Next: Re: [Power Projection] Review