Prev: Re: Software Projects Next: RE: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1602

Re: Software Projects

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 12:20:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Software Projects

>Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:55:34 +1000
>From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@webone.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Software Projects
>
>From: "Stuart Ford" <stuart@forddata.com>
>

>>Is this the time to rain on everyone's parade by pointing out that I
haven't
>>touched Java in over 5 years?
>>
>>I'm a C#, C++ and VB coder by trade.	I'm thinking more of 3D rendered
>>environments, but I'm not opposed to pushing data to your FTJava
server.

>You know C#? Then you know Java 2 (JDK 1.4) You just don't know you
know Java.

>I'm an Ada programmer myself, but Java's my No 2 choice.

I was a C programmer (among other things) for about 20 years and retired

about
2 years ago (I took an offer and am now on pension). With retirement I
have been
able to do the important things like paint figures and	rebuild my
programming skills
(companies today would rather hire someone with wanted skills instead of

training
their staff).  I've been taking classes in Java and C++ and have my
skills back up to
a point where I'm going to try a couple of projects I've been thinking
about.

One of those projects is a campaign management system which automates
the
record keeping for a campaign. I planned to start with a space
environment in
that it is one of the simplest (try trade routes through mountains for
difficulties).
This should give me something to practice my skills on.

I may be needing some testers on an individual basis (my Java server is
only
a single user freebie and I don't want to convert any of my other
systems at
 this time and expense).

One thing to remember is that when dealing with people around the
world real time is impractical (12 PM for me is 6 PM in England and
after
3 AM in Australia). So any volunteer will not sacrifice sleep for the
cause.

Scott Siebold

Prev: Re: Software Projects Next: RE: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1602