Prev: Re: Dolphins & the OU Next: Re: Re: FT: Ship Names

Re: Re: FT: Ship Names

From: Bob Eldridge <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:54:42 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Re: FT: Ship Names

Dolorous Hauberk, but you're right, Azhanti High Lightning had some
fascinating ship names. AFAIK the Russians have always named their
destroyers, usually after qualities - e.g. Bravy (brave) or naval heroes
of junior rank - e.g. Leitenant Ilyin. The Germans are the folks who
mostly simply numbered their destroyers. In WWI the letter indicated the
builder, for example S for Schichau,G for Germania, V for Vulkan, and B
for Bloehm and Voss. So S113 for instance, was the 113th destroyer and
it was built by the Schichau yards. The pre-WWII German destroyers were
given both names and numbers such as Z6 Theodor Riedel, but all the
war-built destroyers had simply numbers, prefixed by the letter Z for
"Zerstoerer" (destroyer)like Z25. Germans also numbered torpedo boats
(T), and gunboats (K) although sometimes these were named as well,
escorts (G) and minesweepers (M).