Prev: Re: [OT] Back from SALUTE Next: Re: [DS] Irregular NSF Figures

RE: [DS] Irregular NSF Figures

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:30:51 +1000
Subject: RE: [DS] Irregular NSF Figures

G'day,

> Dolphins breathe air right?  I assume
> neo/pseudo/semi-Dolphins do also.
> Dome equivalents filled with air would be more secure than floating
> cities or tidal flat cities.

So they have canals and water filled homes with a thing layer of air
trapped
under the dome or are they more "human-like" and have land mobile limbs?

If they still need water as their usual medium then the picture you're
painting makes it sound like the water is probably too deep for long
term
occupation by the neo-dolphins anyway. Dolphins tend to be more shallow
dwellers which would make any domes either redundant as close to the
surface
anyway or very susceptible from attack from above as there's not enough
water between to act as a good buffer. On top of that the way many
mammals
get so deep is by getting a lot of the gas out of their body before
going
down (gases at depth are BAD for the body). I just seriously doubt that
any
mid- to deep water community (where domes would be most logical from a
practical use point of view... though yes they'd have to be pretty damn
strong in many cases) would actually require that amount of free gases
in
the first place.... but this is science fiction after all so it wouldn't
be
the first time biology has been ignored in the cause of a good story ;)

> I am assuming that to have the means to
> keep the armed forces of the "aliens" (us Huumansss) that means
> manufactured weapons which means technology which means industry which
> implies cities of some sort.

Cities I don't have an issue with its the idea there has to be free gas
around (and thus the dome). Besides wouldn't the humans find it more
challenging if they have to face the alien equivalent of a lungfish?
Fine
under the water where humans find it hard to cope unaided, but quite
able to
come up out of the water with no respiratory problems.... escaping that
could get difficult so conflict is more likely ;)

Cheers

Beth

Prev: Re: [OT] Back from SALUTE Next: Re: [DS] Irregular NSF Figures