Prev: Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures Next: Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures

Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:51:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:25:34 -0400, Nick Wesson
<nick.wesson@ca.inter.net>
wrote:

>I know in the rules they recommend 1 inch wide
>bases, and there are occasions where that inch can be important, but
I'm
>not particularly eager to stick such small figures on such a large base

>- it seems out of proportion to me.

I wouldn't recommend 1" wide bases, as it will make it hard to squeeze
the
figures in close enough when you need to get a couple of squads in tight
together.

A 3/4" washer is better.

>Has anyone had any serious
>problems with that strategy?

All of my Japanese and NSL figures are just on their own bases. Having
said
that, I'm now looking at having to go back and place _all_ of them on
washers.
My 25mm Phalons are on bases.

I really recommend basing the Power Armour figures on washers if nothing
else.
They tend to be more top heavy than the regular SG2 figures.

The main reason I'm basing the rest of the figures on washers is that I
have
come up with a way of getting rid of the SG2 quality/leadership and
confidence
markers. I printed up sheets of 1s, 2s, 3s, and each of the two letter
confidence settings on coloured paper. I used spray adhesive to glue
them onto
thin magnetic sheeting, and then I punched them out with a small
one-hole
punch. I am now painting more thin magnetic sheet in green to match my
table
cloth. I will cut out the green sheets into squares. I have tested this
system
and it works well: I place a square under the squad leader's figure and
then
put two circles, one for leadership/quality, one for confidence, on the
square. The square is stuck to the leader's base due to the base being a
washer and the square being a magnet. I can replace the circles on the
square.
It takes up far less space than the counters and is less obtrusive, and
yet it
is still easy to read. Better than that, the counters move with the
squad
leader!

To do this, I have to have all the figures, or at least the SLs, mounted
on
washers. I'm going to mount all of them on washers to be consistent. It
will
also make all the figures more stable. I wish I had done this in the
first
place...

http://www.hyperbear.com

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know
well!" - Joe Ancis

Prev: Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures Next: Re: Basing GZG 25mm Figures