Prev: Re: Modern figures in scale with GZG 25MM? Next: Re: Politics and John A (et al.)

Politics and John A (et al.)

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 02:23:58 -0500
Subject: Politics and John A (et al.)

1. I think most of us feel concern for our friends
(and community members) over in the areas of
hostilities. Concern about that is not only
natural, but a sign of community. The trick is
expressing that without bringing up political
issues about justification/illegality/etc. of the
current situation. This isn't a restriction of free
speech - it's an acknowledgement that the
reason we share this list is for the purpose of
discussing wargames with small lead men in a
fictional universe, not about discussing (per se)
current events. We all new that when we joined.
Oft times, straying off course is acceptable to all
or most, but this is a particularly charged time
and a bit of sensitivity (nod to Brian and
others) is just courteous. I for one totally
disagree with Brian, but we've agreed that such
discussions do not belong in this forum.
Remember, the right to free speech and the
necessity to use it in all ways at every
opportunity are not necessarily identical things.
;)

2. John A. - gone out of Texas (where he was
chilling his heels while, as he put it, members of
his crew were getting themselves into trouble -
soldiers without anything to do, with their lives
in storage, waiting.... not too good.....). Flew off
to Big Sandy. Gear may already be unloaded (if
I believe CNN some 4th ID elements are already
in Iraq). His bridge should be getting moving
North soon, as no doubt the US could use the
heavily equipped 4th ID.

Let's all (regardless of our thoughts on the
war) say a prayer that Los, Schoon, Ted, Magic
and John (and any other lurkers who may have
been called up) come back safe. I suspect Los
has been busy with the sneakies and Ted
probably is getting his fill of logistical support
or traffic direction. Not sure which harbour
Magic and the two CG cutters are securing
(Kuwait City?), but they're probably busy. And
Schoon went IIRC with the Marines and we know
they never have it easy. So let's just hope they
all come back safe. I'd rather argue with any of
them post-facto about wars that read about
them as a statistic in one.

I have a mailing address for John A. I know
Magic posted one to the list (but I've lost it and
I'm not competent to find it in the archives...). I
don't expect to get one for Los :) but if anyone
has an overseas address for Schoon or Ted, I'd
love to have it (you can drop me a line off list).
I think writing to them might be a good gesture
of personal support.

Tomb.
Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: Modern figures in scale with GZG 25MM? Next: Re: Politics and John A (et al.)