Prev: Re: [OT] Question from the news Next: Re: [OT] Question from the news

Re: [OT] Question from the news

From: "lee garnett" <snake@p...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:10:09 -0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Question from the news

The square box that looks like a cooling vent on the front/side/rear of
the
US/UK vehicles is some sort of highly reflective identifier, to Infra
Red/Thermal Imaging sensors at least.  The boxes look about two foot
square
and have 4 or 5 white[ish] horizontal louves.

IFF systems are "active" which is generally a bad thing as it means the
emeny can see/detect you easier.  I also read somewhere today that one
problem with tank IFF systems is that it may prevent you from firing at
the
enemy, if the line of fire is too close to friendlies.

Lee

"Friendly fire isn't!"