Prev: Mad Crimmins Next: Re: Mad Crimmins

[OT] Question from the news

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:36:09 -0500
Subject: [OT] Question from the news

Actually several of them, to those who might
know. I'm more than willing to have it taken off-
list if someone wants to reply to my e-mail
instead of the list.

1) I read about US forces skirmishing with
Republican Gaurd. The reporter mentioned
(repeatedly) 50mm machine-gun fire. I know
50mm is.... *rather large* for what I consider a
machinegun. But I also don't know what US
vehicle is equipped with such a monster? I
thought most of the Apaches, Warthogs,
Bradleys, etc. were equipped with 20-30mm
guns of various varieties. What carries a 50mm?
Or is the reporter full of hot wind?

2. I keep seeing these sideways V symbols on
various armoured vehicles. Some seem to point
back, others forward. Any armour crew out
there who can suggest what their purpose is?

3. I've heard about several 'friendly fire'
incidents. One involved two Brit tanks
(Challengers I'll assume, but I could be wrong).
Don't the tanks have some sort of IFF system?
(I'd have thought so).

4. I have heard that the Iraqis are using pickups
with TOW mounts. Ignoring the question of how
they got there, does this remind anyone else of
the DS2 size 1 vehicle with GMS/H which we
always tend to lament about? Panzer Nissan
anyone? (and effective, by all accounts)

Thanks for the information.

Tomb
PS - Is anyone else annoyed that they keep
differentiating servicemen and women on
combat operations killed in aircrashes etc.
"accidental" casualties as differentiated from
"combat" casualties? That really burns my butt.
The distinction will be largely lost upon the
families I suspect.

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Mad Crimmins Next: Re: Mad Crimmins