Prev: RE: [Stargrunt-Fullthrust] Hello Next: RE: Alien Thinking

Alien Thinking

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:54:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Alien Thinking

I've been thinking about aliens today.	And why not?  Beats thinking
about reality, after all....

Specifically, I've been thinking about alien psychology, at least to the

degree that it relates to game play.

To simplify matters to an appalling (but gameable) degree, there are
three basic responses when a human being feels threatened:
   Flight -- running away from the threat,
   Fight -- attacking the threat,
   or Freeze -- holding still and hoping that the threat won't notice
you.

The rules assume Freeze as the default human response (which
seems reasonable enough), and the Suppression system models that
quite well.  What's more, it's quite easy to "tweak" the system a little

to allow for a greater range of response, such as:
     Timidity -- Units recieve *two* Suppression markers when they
come under fire, rather than one.
     Boldness -- Units may automatically remove one Suppression
marker when they are activated.
     Caution -- Units automatically go "In Position" when they recieve a

Supression marker, and must come out of position (as per the rules)
before they can move.

I've been thinking about the other two responses, though, and how
best to model them without mutilating the system too badly.  I've got
some preliminary ideas, so I thought that I'd throw them out there
and let the list at large tear them to bits.

For Flight, which appears to be the default Herbivore response, you
could do the following:
     When a unit is activated, it must immediately make one
confidence check for every Suppression marker that it has.  For each
failed test, the unit must spend an action to make a Combat Move
away from any and all visible attackers.  If the tests are passed, the
unit may act normally.	(I have this particular system in mind for my
Grey aliens, who would be making that confidence test at a
considerable penalty.)

For Fight, on the other hand....  The problem here is that, when facing
modern (or future!) firearms, the Fight response is likely to get you
killed.  Nevertheless, it's still appropriate, and can be a nasty thing
face under the right circumstances (The
Niven/Barnes/Pournelle "Grendels" are a fine example.)	Here's one
way to play it, assuming an intelligent foe:
     A unit with two or more Suppression markers must immediately
make a confidence check when it is activated.  If this check is passed,
the unit may attempt to remove the markers as normal (probably at a
bonus, since we're assuming an aagressive species).  If the check is
*failed*, however, the unit must immediately charge the nearest
enemy unit, with a movement bounus of +d8" for this movement
only.  (With sufficiently nasty aliens, give this charge a "Terror"
effect
and you'll give them a slightly better chance of surviving.)

And of course, on top of all that, there are some completely alien

You've got the Remorseless Killing Machine option, which ignores
Suppression entirely, and has plenty of fictional precedents.  More
interestingly, you've got GDW's "Kafers", who react to stress by
boosting their intelligence.

(Easy enough to do with SGII: Kafer units start as Greens, but for
every Suppression marker they receive their quality level improves by
a step.)

Are there any other obvious options that I'm missing here?

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: RE: [Stargrunt-Fullthrust] Hello Next: RE: Alien Thinking