Prev: unsubscribe gzg-l Next: [OT] RE: unsubscribe gzg-l

Re: Delete Keys OT (Was OT: Time to Bomb Saddam...)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:26:13 -0600
Subject: Re: Delete Keys OT (Was OT: Time to Bomb Saddam...)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:59:28 -0500 (EST), <hal@buffnet.net> wrote:

>PS - don't let anyone's whines drive ya away.	Delete delete delete
when
>you have to, laugh when you can, and contribute to the process of
>reminding everyone we *ALL* are people to be respected....

This assumes that everyone on the list has the same very cheap method of
downloading e-mail as is found in the US, and that people have e-mail
programs
with filtering capability.

Many of the folks here are from the UK and Europe, where the fees for
internet
access are structured differently. It costs them to download tons of off
topic
messages.

Not everyone has a mail program that allows filtering. This is a
wargaming
list, not a computer list, and not everyone is that computer savvy.

OT posts are tolerated here, particularly when it's sci-fi or science
related.
We had a problem last year with political posts that drove some folks
away
from the list. The whole issue of what should or should not be allowed
was
discussed in depth back then. The conclusion was that we didn't want
this list
to be moderated, but at the same point we didn't want to drive so many
people
away that only those that tolerated off topic posts bothered to stick
around.

I understand the desire -- no, need -- for humans to discuss topics that
are
of interest to them with friends in a social setting. Even while playing
games
you are apt to go off topic and discuss current events, the weather, the
kids,
etc. However, when the signal to noise ratio drops significantly, the
group
dies. For that reason, I am in favour of keeping OT discussions --
except
those with peripheral use in our games -- to a minimum.

Simple rule of thumb: if you have to label your post "[OT]" then don't
post
it...

http://www.hyperbear.com

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know
well!" - Joe Ancis

Prev: unsubscribe gzg-l Next: [OT] RE: unsubscribe gzg-l