Prev: Heat disposition in space Next: Nice Decados fleet Dean

ISO metal bases

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:41:15 -0500
Subject: ISO metal bases

Geohex made some lovely lead bases.... anyone
still making them? (For the FT ships).

I like them because they have the clockfaces on
them. I toss out the white metal shaft.... (or
more correctly, it goes into my "one day to
become a miniature if I ever get around to
casting" supply)... drill through the base and
emplace (using epoxy) square brass tubing. I
also emplace the same tubing (a short length)
into the bottom of the ship. There is a smaller
snug fitting chunk of square tube used to join
the two (glue it into the ship, usually). This way,
one can remove the ship for ease of transport
(great for those FSE and ESU biggies that have
large wedge shapes!). It also means you can
get by with fewer bases. And you can mix and
match heights to allow closer formations.

Having said that, I'm still short of the number of
baseplates I need. Some of them came with
those repulsive black plastic easy-break stands.

Anyone know if it is still possible to get these
bases anywhere?

Or maybe we can convince one of our resident
(hint hint) miniature manufacturers to make a
medium sized round white metal base with
twelve clock pips (like KR's old ones) except
cast it with a standard square cavity in the
center to prefit the brass tubing! That would be
the best.... it would remove the complaints
about the white metal uprights and the brass
tubing can be had easily at most decent hobby
stores. And the flexibility this basing system
gives (in terms of transport and storage) is
rather profound.

Tomb.
Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Heat disposition in space Next: Nice Decados fleet Dean