Prev: Re: [Humour] With apologies to any French listees Next: Re: [Humour] With apologies to any French listees

Re: [OT] Entirely off-topic: English Civil War rules

From: "Mike Elliott" <Mike.Elliott@s...>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:08:34 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Entirely off-topic: English Civil War rules

I second Alan's recommendation of DBR. However, the scenario supplement
"De
Bellis Civile" is not written by Phil Barker and contains many
inaccuracies. I suggest you avoid it. Its not that difficult to put
together scenarios for DBR if you give it a bit of thought.

Regards
Mike

From: "Roger Burton West" <roger@firedrake.org>

> I'm not much of a traditional wargamer: mostly I play SF, with a side
> order of fantasy. However, I have in mind a project which requires a
> simulation of the technology and tactics of the English Civil War (the
> second one, that is, 1642-1651) - musket and pike, mainly - in a
> full-scale battle. Can anyone recommend the best rule-set for this
> purpose?

I;ve never played it - but have seen it played, and it looked so much
fun
I am really tempted to get into that period.

De Bellis Renationis, DBR, from WRG (Wargames Research Group).
http://www.theminiaturespage.com/rules/ren/dbr.html
There were a lot of criticisms of 1.0, but 1.1 may have solved them.
Certainly I've seen Tercios employed as very effective formations
on the field, in fact, the block of pikes with arquebusiers or
musketeers
at the corners is standard.

http://tetrad.stanford.edu/dbr/index.html

Oh yes, there's a scenario supplement, De Bellis Civille, which covers
all
major ECW battles.

This email has originated from Steria Ltd (formerly Integris Ltd),
Registration No: 2706218.

Privileged, confidential and/or copyright information may be contained
in
this email, and is only for the use of the intended addressee. To copy,
forward, disclose or otherwise use it in any way if you are not the
intended recipient or responsible for delivering to him/her is
prohibited.

If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender
immediately,
by using the reply facility in your email software.

We may monitor the content of emails sent and received via our network
for
the purposes of ensuring compliance with policies and procedures.

relationships between Steria Ltd and the recipient.

Office registered at: Computer House, Great West Road, Brentford,
Middlesex, TW8 9DH
www.steria.co.uk

Prev: Re: [Humour] With apologies to any French listees Next: Re: [Humour] With apologies to any French listees