Prev: Re: [OT] Visit to the States Next: Tonk Webpage

Water Cooled Vickers Guns....

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:18:23 -0500
Subject: Water Cooled Vickers Guns....

.... are a thing of the past, for a reason. Yes,
obsolescent technology still abounds. Yes, it is
possible under some circumstances to imagine
the re-development of certain technologies.
Yes, this appeals to the nostalgia of some
among us for the good ol' days.

But there are reasons these things have went
the way of the dodo. They aren't light. They
aren't easily portable. And they demand fluid,
which isn't light or portable. And the truth is,
the capabilities they offer are generally not
required.

As has been illustrated by others, the fast,
sustained fire is not usually a tremendous
advantage when fighting a modern enemy
force. They tend not to attack in human waves
and by clacking away, you'll most likely mark
yourself out as a target. And your piddly few
thousand feet of theoretical range won't mean
much to someone with a missile launcher
lurking near the horizon. Kaboom, no more Mr.
Machine Gun.

Mobility is, in large part, key to survival.
Fortifications are nice, but they have historically
had drawbacks which still pertain (psychological
ones to the force occupying them) and they
have distinct drawbacks versus support such as
artillery and air, which can crack bunkers like
walnuts. And bunkers don't dodge too well.

Water cooled systems exist on some larger
combat systems for sea use probably because
water is something easily access. Some large
land combat systems may use them, but
precious few.

And for the infantry, they are pretty much
unheard of in modern usage. Why? If I'm going
to carry 15 lbs. of water, a tripod, and my HMG
(even with some helpers), that's a lot of weight.
If I plan to use it for continous fire, that's a
huge amount of ammo (in fact, one example of
overuse of ammunition is quite visible in the
new Bruce Willis film Tears of the Sun - we must
have missed the off screen supply drop - but
it's a movie so we suspend disbelief). All of that
weighs. And as a poor gropos, you're already
carrying possibly NBC gear, body armour, basic
combat load, etc. - You're already moving like
you've got a monkey on your shoulders, and
the enemies' bullets haven't got noticeably
slower.

Most modern squad weapons (and even the
support det's MGs) tend to fire in bursts at
targets of opportunity or to suppress rather
than fully automatic versus a non-existent
human wave. If we want to apply indirect fire,
we use mortars. If we want to destroy
something we really don't like, we use a
grenade launchers, recoilless rifle, IAVR or an
ATGM. Or we call for support.

If a human wave does come, a combination of
rapid fire from rifles and elevated fire rates
from support weapons is probably in order, but
so too is artillery, grenades (rifle and hand) and
most especially, the old favorite - the Claymore
mine. And since we're carrying all of this stuff
around (because it *does* stuff the MG does
not), adding extra weight to no real gain
wouldn't make much sense.

Adding water cooled weapons systems would
mean an increased demand for logistics (more
bits than the air cooled versions). Assuming we
were doing this to let them fire faster/longer,
we'd eat up more ammo we'd have to carry
around. We'd also have to hump the coolant
and recirculation gear. Extra weight very bad.

Where might it make sense to investigate
modern fluid cooling systems, perhaps using
water and microtubes or perhaps using
something like liquid nitrogen?

1) If we had a rugged enough system.
Radiators tend not to be too rugged.
2) If we could get good cooling efficiencies
(might work well if using things other than
water).
3) If we could do it in a way that didn't bulk up
the weapons.
4) If it was someplace the advantage the
weapon gained was useful (say installed in the
aforementioned targets.... I mean fixed
defenses). It might make sense to support
something like this in a Starship Troopers world
with swarms of bugs, but I don't think you could
actually carry enough ammo to win those
fights...
5. On a vehicle where the added
complexity/logistics might not matter.
6. PA is debatable. You'll need some water for
your soldier, but you can't use that. He can't
drink heated water and water he's drank can't
be used to cool the weapon. Water he sweats
out, if you could somehow catch it all, is
probably near body temperature. And you
aren't planning to recirc water from the blazing
hot gunbarrel around inside the suit near the
wearer were you? I think not. And the weight
you spend on this cuts down armour,
electronics, ammunition, sensor systems, or
movement speed and increases ground
pressure (an important issue if you don't want
to get stuck). And of course, the whole point of
doing this is to be able to fire more.... which
kind of suggests more ammo yet, also robbing
your design of further other capabilities.
You might put something like this on a
dedicates fire support PA suit, but even that is
doubtful.

For most cases, there is just little modern
justification for this kind of technology for
infantry arms. For vehicles, it is a debatable
point, but there could be uses. For PA, in
restricted cases, perhaps. But by en large, this
is a thing of the past an should be relegated
into the same bin of fantasy as steam powered
tanks or gas powered PA. ;)

(Which is to say, if it floats your boat, do it....
but don't worry too hard about trying to justify
it on a reality basis.....)

Tomb.

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: [OT] Visit to the States Next: Tonk Webpage