Prev: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon Next: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:55:58 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

At 10:11 AM -0700 3/11/03, B Lin wrote:

>Comparison numbers - 1 gram of gasoline burns for 11.5 calories of
>energy.  1 gram of black powder propellent burns for 718.1 calories
>per gram - a roughly 70 fold difference in energy release. (modern
>propellents are probably higher energy concentrates)

This assumes that all the heat is expended into the barrel. Plus
there's frictional issues with both engines and guns. The compression
of the Fuel Air Mixture creates heat as well.

>Yes, you could have a closed system for an MG, but you'd add a
>couple hundred pounds of weight to it with extra pipes, reservoir,
>pump and fluid. The added mechanical complexity probably isn't worth
>it either as you then have to have flexible hoses, clamps and other
>parts that can fail.

A couple of hundred pounds? A high flow system with a good sized
radiator could deal with heat pretty well I think and not weigh that
much. Pumps are small. Likely you've already got lots of flexible
hoses for the man inside as well as other conduits.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon Next: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon