Prev: Re: Rubber buildings used at GZG ECC Next: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:13:23 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon

At 11:13 AM +0000 3/11/03, david smith wrote:
>Only 400 rpm ROF? With modern materials and production I would
>expect somewhat high ROF myself. And as for cooling the barrel,
>which is easier to maneuver, a barrel with large fins to dissapate
>the heat to the air or a barrel with a water jacket and 2 pipes
>leading to a radiator mounted on the back of the PA? (after all, the
>surface area determines the heat disapation rate, and I would
>prefere the heat disapation fins somewhere where they will not
>interfere with the PAs troopers ability to fight).

Keep a lower ROF and you're going to have better control and better
ammo conservation. With a low ROF but, steady fire rate, you'll cover
the same kind of ground with better ammo conservation. With a 1200
rpm rate of fire, you're talking about a lot of link for a small
burst.

>Another question is are gataling guns (the multi barreled rotating
>ones) rotating to allow the barrels to cool between firing or is
>there a separate firing chamber for each barrel and the gun reloads
>while the barrel is rotating, so allowing the increadably high ROF
>the are capable of (thinking of the modern versions like the Phlanix
>or the gattaling in the A-10).

Phalanx gets its rate of fire by using multiple barrels and cools
them by moving them through the air. The ZSU 23-4 and the 40mm bofors
mounts use multiple barrels all cycling and water cooling.
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: Rubber buildings used at GZG ECC Next: Re: [SG,DS] Power Armour Weapon