Prev: Re: WWII MGs Next: Re: WWII MGs

Re: WWII MGs

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:22:27 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: WWII MGs

On 07 Mar 2003 11:53:23 -0500 Flak Magnet
<flakmagnet@tabletop-battlezone.com> wrote:

> It makes me wonder why there aren't modern weapons with
water-cooling capability for use in static positions... or perhaps
there are and I'm showing my Ameri-centrism... <

While I know considerably less about this matter than I do of, say,
Linear B, it occurs to me that it might have something to do with the
modern idea that a _static_ position merely invites highly accurate
counter-battery fire. Even arty uses shoot-n-scoot tactics these days,
I believe, and so a water-cooled weapon could require too much in terms
of support to be sufficiently mobile, and so is not considered
preferable to less durable, but less demanding alternatives that are
easier to move. I guess what is needed is a good water recycling
system...

Phil
----
"Sic Transit Gloria Barramundi"
   (Or, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!)
   -- not Douglas Adams, but me: Phil Atcliffe
			(Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: WWII MGs Next: Re: WWII MGs