Prev: RE: Tom's life on the lamb * Next: Re: [SG/DS] Help designing aliens

Re: Help designing aliens

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:06:23 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: Help designing aliens

staremu schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> I have unearthed my converted Tonk miniatures and have
> started brainstormign on them in preparation to begin
> painting them.  I was wondering those on the list who
> have designed alien races could throw some helpful hints
> my way.
>
> What are important things to address?
>
> What should I avoid?
>
> Any short-cuts?

What do you mean by "Design" ? Things like force structure and morale
rules ? Others have addressed this in their mail.

Or do you mean visual design ? Things like skin color, tattoos, symbols
and writing, camouflage patterns ?

For skin, hair, feather etc. colour: Do all of them have the same
colour ? Are there individual (random) variations - probably within a
limited range ? Are there distinct races or genders ? Is there some
link to status (e.g.grey hair = older = commander) ?

Skin painting ? As camouflage or as status marker, or to individual
taste ?

Camouflage is an interesting point. Is the cammo designed for their own
visual system ? This may look quite garish to other races (i.e.us
humans). Or are they clever enough to use cammo that is designed to
foil human senses (and sensors). In this case, their cammo might look
pretty much like human uniforms. In fact, human soldiers fighting the
Tonks should wear the peculiar cammo.

Or don't they use cammo at all ? Is their armour and other protection
good enough to allow use of bright colours (e.g.for prestige purposes)
?

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: RE: Tom's life on the lamb * Next: Re: [SG/DS] Help designing aliens