Prev: Re: Scale for SG Next: Re: Soap bubbles?

RE: Soap bubbles?

From: "Bradley, Jason (US - Minneapolis)" <jabradley@d...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:01:22 -0800
Subject: RE: Soap bubbles?

"I was actually originally approaching that from the other direction...
Possibly
limiting the number of fighters that may actively attack a ship."

I have been watching the thread so far and noticed that.  Ultimately I
think
anything that needs to be done to "fix" a game is fine, however limiting
the
amount of fighters might seem a bit desperate depending on the scale of
the
game and what a "fighter" or "squadron" actually represents.  If things
are
left sort of open to interpretation I think it works well, but it you
have
even roughly defined scales, like several hundred meters for a capitol
ship
of the line, and each squadron represents say 6 fighters, then it seems
odd
that only 10 squadrons can attack, a total of 60 fighters.  It 'feels'
artificial if you understand what I am saying.

I also understand your point about soap bubble carriers and modern day
CVN.
Of course with out getting too much into a "reality" debate, you will
never
see carriers unescorted enter into a war zone, hence the idea that
carrier
groups are beneficial for some, another "spirit" of the game thing I
think.
I know I would not be willing to field even mostly carriers in a battle
unless it was a special scenario or some such situation.  Of course we
all
don't play the same way!
However, restricting creativity is another one of those things I would
be
against, as long as the game did not suffer too much for it.  Take my
earlier example, BFG.  We found that in that game, fighters and bombers
were
also extremely effective if used in large numbers, we also found that in
those large numbers it almost doubled or sometimes tripled the playing
time
of the game!  I hated to see all those nice little starfighters and
bomber
models, "go away" in the new home rules, but the game became a much more
enjoyable game to play.  Of course only my opinion...
I guess the big question, and it may be self evident by the debate going
on
so far on this list, is does the rule as it stand now skew the game too
far
in one direction?  Are there ways to destroy carriers and carrier groups
easily?  Is it something that only needs to be limited in say a
tournament
type situation?

Jason
information
intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.
 If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.  Any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of
any

Prev: Re: Scale for SG Next: Re: Soap bubbles?