Prev: RE: Soap bubbles? Next: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV

Re: Soap bubbles?

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:00:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Soap bubbles?

devans@nebraska.edu wrote:

> While genre-specific ideas are encouraged, the thread had been about
the
> generic rules, and I would assume that's why the fratricide idea was
> discounted. Dangerous thing, assuming...

I originally proposed it as a generic ruleset...  In response to
justifying a
rule, I, rather flippantly, expressed that it is already justified in
certain
genre specific settings.  In the same post, I also said I beleive I
could
justify it for a generic ruling.

So, discounting via genre specific doesn't help.

Unfortunately, I meant the comment as flippant, a hand-wave if you will,
in
order to get some feedback on how fratricide might be actually
implemented,
instead of arguing whether it could be justified within context or not.
further belabor that, I was conceeding in part, that justification would
be
needed, but hoped to do so after a rule-set was worked out.  I was
desparately
trying to avoid the sticky mess that justification brings about, since
it's
rare that everyone will agree that something is justified or not in
setting.
In my experience, it's always best to avoid it until the end, delivering
fate-accompli.	Ie. here's how it works, figure out how you justify it
on your
own.

That, and frankly, much of FT isn't hard and fast, (how exactly does FTL
work?)
and let's the player[s] work it out for themselves.  It's what makes the
system
so setting independant and generic.

> FT fighters are not the only thing requiring representation. Likewise
> SML's, but the whole fighter groups being able to loiter is a system
we'd
> hate to lose unless absolutely necessary.

Agreed.  However, it's my humble opinion that SML's and less so MT's are
actually fairly well balanced, or over-balanced, and thus don't need any
more
restrictions.  They're hard-enough to handly, and have no reload
capability...
But that's exactly why I don't want to mess with PDS itself...	By
changing it,
you chance changing everything...  By changing fighters, you only
address thier
problems.

I definitely don't want to lose loiter, or the other tactical and
strategic fun
fighters bring.

Rand.

Prev: RE: Soap bubbles? Next: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV