Prev: RE: *sigh* Que sera... RE: NOOOOOOooooooo!!!! Re: What scale? Next: Re: SJGames

RE: Soap bubbles?

From: Randall Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:46:06 -0800
Subject: RE: Soap bubbles?

Chuck-

If it's a group new to FT, you'll see the soap bubble philosophy pop in
at
some point.  Some joker always pushes it.  There are a couple of well
known
tricks to handling it, from least effective to most effective
(Effectiveness order is my personal take, not to be taken as gospel):
1.  ADFC (There's a design philosophy debate on whether it's better to
mount ADFC on all ships and a hand-full of PDS, or a mission specific
ship
designed with ADFC and mainly/mostly PDS to provide cover for
ship-killer
ships.)
2.  Fast ships/High initial V.	Zoom in ~ 48+ speeds, hit the carriers,
and
zoom out leaving fighters either dead in bays or unable to reach you and

carriers unable to escape.
3.  Krack scatter guns.  These are considered fairly effective vs.
fighters, but if you're not playing Krack, you're mixing technology
which
has it's own serious flaws.
4.  Fight fire with fire (or in this case, fighters with fighters).  Use

soap bubbles yourself.
5.  Ban, or significantly reduce custom designs.  "Book fleets only"
fights.

To comment on a previous question of yours:
The majority of the list think fighters are under-priced as it is.
There's
a minority (I am included) who disagree and actually think they're
over-priced.  It's almost unanimous, though, that fighters are
overly-powerful given their current incarnation.  The specific problem
involves many vs. few, where 1 (or a few) fighter groups are usually
ineffective at best, but 10+ are overly-effective (at worst).  The
standard
arguement for this is usually stated along the lines of: 1 group of
fighters points times 10 does not equal 10 groups of fighters.	Or 18*10
!=
180.

There is a bit of circular dominance involved, with fighters beating
ship-killers who in turn beat PDS boats who dominate fighters.	(IMNSHO
PDS
is more effective than it should.  However, long and heated debate has
been
held over that land-mine already)

Hopefully that should sum up several years of debate for you.
Some Free advice:  The best solution I've found for people who want to
play
fighters, but don't want to see them dominate, is to have a friendly
house
rule that disallows extremism ship creation and/or limits numbers of
fighters either on the board or allowed to target a ship at a time.

A question for the rest of the group:
I haven't had a chance to playtest it, but perhaps a solid rule limiting

the number of fighters allowed to target a ship at any time?  Perhaps 1
fighter (not squad) per 10 mass, with one group always being allowed?

Rand.