Prev: Re: [SG] Shotguns Next: Shotguns

Re: [SG] Shotguns

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:24:53 PST
Subject: Re: [SG] Shotguns

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:58:59 -0500 Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
writes:
>At 9:52 AM -0800 2/14/03, Brian Bilderback wrote:
>>
>>That assumes that future PA uses soft armor like
>>today's body armor.  I was under the impression that
>>that's what line troops will be using, and PA will be
>>using some very hsrd stuff.  YMMV by background
>>flavor, of course.
>
>Oh, granted, I'm thinking soft armor for lighter equipped troops
>here. Even today, Body armor is great, but it's not a panacea.
>Armoring the lower abdomen/hip area is a challenge if you want to
>maintain any kind of mobility or heat dispersion. mostly it involves
>a plate that hangs down yet still manages to flap around as you walk
>or run. A solid blast there should cause serious damage however.
>
>Against PA, well, you have to break the shell. Not hard for the right
>shotgun slug I think. It'd likely let the magic smoke out. A blast to
>the head is also a seriously hard thing to deal with.
>--

I was a chiurgeon in my old SCA days (did some fighting too) along with
a15 years in Nursing before this job and you could always tell when the
'soft' head of a simulated mace had been a little too effective - the
1000 yard stare looks the same behind a visor...  and the 'where am I"
body language...

And  shock from the wound (blast, penetrating, blunt) kills most people
if their death is not instantaneous.  The biggest improvement for the
grunts has been sanitation and medical care.  Much higher survival
rates.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Prev: Re: [SG] Shotguns Next: Shotguns