Prev: RE: [SG] Shotguns Next: RE: [SG] Shotguns

Re: [SG] Shotguns

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:26:13 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] Shotguns

At 11:39 AM -0500 2/14/03, laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:
>I'm not a gun person (mines and artillery being more my style), and I'm
>curious--why is a shotgun better in close combat than an assault rifle?
>Does it really make sense that it would be more effective against eg
>powered armor?

Given a relatively non armored target, shotguns have a spread of
rounds down range (assuming larger buck shot) that are around .30
caliber. A spreader can be added that gives a fan shape to the
pattern vs a circle.

Shotguns generally have a better chance of hitting a target with
multiple rounds (per shot) vs single shots or auto fire from a Battle
or assault rifle. Its a matter of having a pattern of hits per shot
vs a point hit per shot.

They are good for personal defense in the home for exactly this
reason assuming you don't have 'friendlies' behind the target (a
problem with any weapon really). An experienced user with a Shotgun
can shift the point of aim and catch the target in the spread while
compensating to not hit undesired targets unless they're bunched up.
In such a situation, you don't really want to shoot any weapon any
how unless you're a master marksman under stressful situations.

This is funny in it's coming up as I was just talking to a friend at
work about ideal home defense weapons for in-experienced users.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: [SG] Shotguns Next: RE: [SG] Shotguns