Prev: Re: [GZG-OLC] February Update Next: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV

Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:06:42 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:01:41 -0800, "Eric Foley" <stiltman@teleport.com>
wrote:

>It _is_ true that tackling a really big ship of that sort is something
of a
>chore.  But it's not a great enough advantage that a well-handled force
of
>smaller ships can't take it down, as has been demonstrated both here by
me
>and by Oerjan with his test games of Kra'Vak escort cruisers against
some of
>my own older "Dreadplanet Roberts" designs.

You weren't playing vector, were you? Try it in vector, with that huge
ship
able to spin in place and I think you'd find the results different.

You do make a very good point, though. A point system is never going to
work
100% in a game where you can design your own ships. It's always going to
be
possible to create a ship or ships that just are not worth the points.
For
instance, you could make a ship holding nothing but PDS. It's not going
to be
much use against anything but fighters, so in most cases it won't be
worth the
points.

Allan Goodall		     http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: [GZG-OLC] February Update Next: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV