Prev: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV Next: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV

Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:19:16 +1100
Subject: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV

Oerjan wrote:

>>In history
>
>In historical battles, no-one used points values to try to ensure that
both
>sides of a battle had an equal chance of winning.
>
>This means that trying to argue how a points value system should or
should
>not work based on historical examples is, pardon the pun, completely
>pointless...

 I never claimed that points systems were intended to achieve
 an equal chance of winning. I'm arguing that if you rated
 historical warships by a points system similar to Full Thrust
 then their combat effectiveness, in particular that of big
 ships vs small ships, would work out roughly the way it does
 in Full Thrust. Since we have no practical experience with
 space warships, just about every science fiction book, movie,
 or TV show tends to be based (consciously or unconsciously)
 on historical models. The Tuffleyverse obviously uses naval
 terminology and the rules have a naval 'feel' rather than say
 modern air combat.

 So if the points system produces historical results, I'd say
 it doesn't hurt and may even be beneficial.

	Hugh

Prev: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV Next: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV