Prev: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game] Next: [OT] Test

Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:14:34 -0500
Subject: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

> What the small ships need to be effective in equal-points battles is a
> points system which takes the big-ship advantages into account -
unlike
the
> current one :-/

I know.  Has anyone done any work to developing such a formula?

With an initial simplifying assumption that mass is proportional to hull
integrity (total number of boxes, not percentage), this implies that the
larger the ship, the more the error in the points.  We could then divide
the
mass by a constant to a get percentage of error.  Larger ships appear to
be
much more effective then smaller ships implies the function we are after
could be exponential.  However, even the largest ship is probably not
worth
twice its point value in frigates, so the constant should be greater
then
280.

This all results in the following formula:

corrected point value  = points * [1 + (mass/300)^(3/5)]

NOTE:  This is off the top of head and has NOT been playtested.  If you
use
it I would love to hear the results of the battle; but do not blame me
if
the battle is unfair.

This will increase the cost of all ships:

Mass:  Points Multiplier (rounded to two places):

5      1.09
10    1.13
20    1.20
30    1.25
40    1.30
60    1.38
80    1.45
100    1.52
120    1.58
140    1.63
160    1.69
180    1.74
200    1.78
220    1.83
240    1.87
260    1.92
280    1.96

ias

Prev: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game] Next: [OT] Test