Prev: RE: Does anyone remember... Next: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

Re: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:37:41 -0500
Subject: Re: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

>No, it's because the naval weapons only had a limited range from the
>coastline.  Not an issue with orbital bombardment, so if you can ht a
>border fort, you can hit their capital, their munitions factories, etc

Glenn asked:
>BUT operationally, strategically and economically - * do * you want to
do
that to a planet you hope to occupy?

I may only want to knock out a few industries (eg ball bearings) and
capture the rest.  Or I may have to knock out quite a lot to reduce them
a state where I *can* occupy them.  Or I may have no desire to occupy
them--in which case, we need to have another reason why massive orbital
strikes aren't practical.

For example, when the Alarishi Empire was fighting the Islamic
Federation,
the AE had no desire or ability to occupy any significant IF territory
(except Dar es Salaam, and that would have been a stretch)--the only
reason
for the AE *not* to slag Arabiya Jadid would be the political fallout in
the international community.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: RE: Does anyone remember... Next: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...