Prev: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment... Next: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

orbital bombardment

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 20:17:10 -0500
Subject: orbital bombardment

Imre responded to my post, and I to him:

Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 17:50:56 -0500
From: "Imre A. Szabo"
<ias@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bombardment and Beams

Does my minor in Mathematics count???

[Tomb] Dunno, if it was anything like the
time I spent in Pure Math, maybe not. ;)

The point isn't to cover a ten km box of
space.	The point is that if the enemy is
position is off by a 0.000001 degrees from
where you predict he will be when you fire,
you still have a chance to hit him. assuming
10,000 km per MU, range of 36 MU; this
gives us 10000km * 1000 m/km * 36
*tan(0.000001) = 6.28 m.  Area of a circle
of this radius is 124 sq.m.  This is much
less then a 10 km box which is
100,000,000 sq. m...

[Tomb] Okay, take that 0.000001 and
change it to 0.00001 or 0.0001. The
numbers go up a lot. A lot has to do with
your expectations and assumptions about
the technology.

However, if you take 124 sq. m and assume
one pulse per 4 sq. m, then you are only
talking 8 pulses times the power required.
A fighter will slip through, but then fighters
are supposed to.

[Tomb] And let us assume for a moment
materials have advanced apace with your
fire control and focusing abilities. I think
the amount of energy required will be
substantial. I'm thinking that a weapon
that wants to actually damage an FT ship
decently has really two or three factors to
deal with: Getting a hit of any kind and
having that hit do enough damage to be
meaningful and doing that within a finite
budget of available offensive energy. The
first of those is aided by rapid fire (across
an area) or a scattergun effect. The second
of those is aided by having more powerful
individual shots. The third of those is
impeded by both of the former two. It
seems to me FT weapons must be a
compromise, but there is *no* point in
getting a hit if you don't do meaningful
damage, so the second objective is actually
the important one. Thus the emphasis is on
having a shot do some damage when it
hits. So, I guess it boils down to how much
fire you figure can be put out to achieve
that. I'm assuming batteries that fire
slowly (for temperature and energy build
up reasons) and make great attempts to
hit what they aim at. There could be (and
probably are) multiple pulses. But I don't
think of them as high rate area sweepers. I
just don't think they could pack meaningful
power levels in without having a ridiculous
power demand.

Yes, 0.000001 degree is a very small error
when you consider two ships each moving
3 dimensionally realtive to each other
at that range.

[Tomb] Quite. But you're the one who
commented on area sweeping effects,
IIRC. If you're going to say the area you
meant was incredibly small, then why say
that? If it is a sizeable area, then that
implies either individually weak shots or a
whopping input energy.

> Which brings us to bombardments. I
suspect a
> ships beam is powerful and focused. But
it may

<snip> and

> to obliterate cities, etc). Otherwise we'd
see a
> vastly different style of ground combat in
DS2
> and vastly different vehicle designs. And
fighters
> designed for vacuum operation (starfury
> anyone?) probably suck rocks in an
> atmosphere.

PLEASE CHECK MY ORIGINAL
SUGGESTIONS.  BEAMS AREN'T VERY
EFFECTIVE ON EARTH TYPE PLANETS,
YOU NEED CLASS 4 OR LARGER
TO DO ANYTHING.

[Tomb] My comments on how *I* view
orbital bombardment made no particular
direct reference to your suggestions. I read
them (at least skimmed) and wasn't
interested in commenting directly on your
mechanics. Therefore your emphasis
addresses a point I had not taken up. Nor
will I. Your rules didn't seem totally
unreasonable, to the extent I paid attention
to them. Some of your philosophy I'm not in
total agreement with. I was merely
advancing my opinion of what I think things
must be like in the canonical universe.

Imre:
As for the fighters, Thunderbolts exist in B5
specifically
to fix that defficency in Earth Force.

[Tomb] Yep, but down below you argue
against ground attack fighters.
Interesting....

I don't like the Ortillary system because
they are NOT ammo dependent.

[Tomb] In what sense? Limited ammo?
(Ever heard of a fleet collier? also notice
GMS systems don't have ammo constraints)
Or that they don't have ammunition choice?
DS2 and SG2 present only a very simplified
picture of actual artillery capability and
variety.

Imre:
 As for orbital bombardment satelites,
make a small space station with 1 hull, and
a couple submunition packs loaded with
orbital bombardment submunitions. Carry in
a freighter (or cargo hold of a military ship,
or fighter bay of carrier) and deploy when
needed.

[Tomb] That kind of design (although I'd
claim you require something big enough to
hold an ortillery module) is probably what
I'm talking about.

> And it seems to me their ought to be a
Ground-
> Attack type fighter, specialized for in-
> atmosphere assaults and surface and
> atmospheric envelope target
engagements.

Why bother.  Use standard fighter types.
Can have a very
rough time going into the atmosphere...

[Tomb] You mentioned the thunderbolt
from the B5 Universe, and you mention the
rough time in atmosphere. I add to that the
possibilities of interception inside the
atmospheric envelope by highly specialized
interceptors who should be able to outfight
your "standard space fighter". Plus I'm not
sure the Thunderbolt of Starfury are even
aerodynamic enough to be viable (okay, I
guess the B2 proves a brick can fly with
enough power.....). My point was that a
fighter designed for space combat is a poor
choice for in-atmosphere ordinance
deployment against ground targets,
especially in the close support role. It
seems that it would be overly vulnerable.

That's in my original idea.

[Tomb] Except it seems to me that a ship
with a single class 4 beam could freely
roam around and roast formations, cities,
etc with no reply from the defenders
assuming it had orbital superiority. (Or did
I read that wrong?) Something tells me
that considering the value of planets, some
serious effort would be put into planetary
defenses sufficient to prevent that. (Class
10 ground mount beams? Ground launched
salvo missiles? I don't know, whatever).

> domination of the campaign worlds to
navy, navy, navy. If you want to play SG or
DS without constantly applying the "hostile
atmosphere" or other artificial constraints,
then there had better be a way to prevent
a single corvette (or even a small fleet)
from threatening any surface combat action
without specialized assets.

If it's a planet similar to Earth, corvettes
won't be effective, unless they have one
shot weapons, ideally loaded
with orbital bombardment munitions. Note
that this will make
them one shot wonders.

[Tomb] Okay, how about a B4 armed DD? I
ask because this design is fairly viable as a
vector combatant (not so in cinematic) and
could also, by your rules if I read them
right, make for a nasty bombardier. And
squadrons of them would be just nasty.
Frankly, I'd just rather that atmospheres of
any significant level just plain stopped
beams dead. I think ground assault
requires specialized assets which are nigh
on useless in space. Period. So if your navy
decides to show up without them or loses
them, you're done for planetary attack until
you fetch replacements.

Yep, they're mop up opperation like the
Central Pacific campaign if your fleet can't
threaten the enemy.  But if the fleets are
comparable, you wind up fighting a serries
of Guadalcannals...  Both sides darting in to
land reinforcement and do a quick barrage
of the enemy position, and then dash off...

[Tomb] Which is fine, if the analogy
worked. It breaks down because in 1945, it
was very hard to know where the other
fleet was and all the islands were
effectively different places (as in fact were
different parts of the same island) due to
the technology of the time. Now, an entire
world is effectively one place, as far as
interdicting traffic to it probably goes. So I
don't think you'll ever get this situation
unless you have terrible luck. If you don't
go into an invasion with enough force to
sweep space, you deserve to lose. If you
do sweep space, you'd better darn well
hold it or the troops you've landed are in
bad situations. Allowing his ships to enter
the atmospheric envelope for any purpose
is likely to see to it that he plants a nuke
on some of your boys (more worrisome
than the "supplies" he might bring in or
even the "reinforcements"). A true
planetary invasion had better involve one
side taking and holding the planet and the
space around it for a fair distance. And if
they do that, any "landers" will be blown
sky high. So at that point, it behoves the
invaded party to not waste such efforts
trying to sneak in, but to build up and come
in with a true relief force, again oriented to
taking out whatever is there and winning
space superiority.

I think if you really have not truly
established local space superiority, you
have no real business landing troops. And if
you can't hold it, the troops you have
landed are in a lot of trouble.

And that, my friend, is not exactly the
Pacific War all over again.

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment... Next: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...