Prev: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game] Next: FT: Striker (was:Thought on Orbital Bombardment...)

Re: [FT] F***ters

From: Hugh Fisher <laranzu@o...>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 18:53:59 +1100
Subject: Re: [FT] F***ters

 (Apologies if this turns up twice, my outgoing mail seems
 to be behaving oddly.)

>The problem is that under the current rules fighters have a non-linear
>effectiveness because they can swarm an enemy (who will eventually run
>out of PDS). So having eight fighter groups that move as a single unit
>is worth a lot more than eight times one fighter group.

 OK, I think I have a better understanding of the non-linearity
 problem now.

 Suppose a ship can only be attacked by the fighters of one
 carrier in any turn?

 Rationale would be that since all the fighters are buzzing about
 in the same small volume of space, it takes some pretty good
 command & control and training not to shoot each other. (In the
 current US Navy, do strikes ever mix fighters from more than one
 carrier?)

	Hugh

Prev: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game] Next: FT: Striker (was:Thought on Orbital Bombardment...)