Prev: RE: Unsubing for deployment, JA Next: Re: Battletech and 3D ship images

Battletech and 3D ship images

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 22:21:11 -0500
Subject: Battletech and 3D ship images

1) It looks like the image I have is done by the
fine Mr. Nathan Pettigrew. My compliments.
(Though I now see quite a few others worthy of
compliment.... I may have to ask some of these
folks if I embed their work in some fiction -
Someone should send Jon T these links when
he's looking for artwork for FB3/FT3)

2) Battletech
My favorite memory (other than the figure
destroying game between distributors and
FASA themselves at GenCon 20) is of using a
heavily armoured tank mounting an AutoCannon
20 to make mech heads go "kablooie". I didn't
really like Mechs either. And of the mechs I
didn't like, LAMs ruled the day.

3) Reading John's posts (Hey, engineer, I
thought you and your bridge had shuffled off to
the Middle East?), I see he thinks very much as
I do. The interesting thing to me is not
producing resources and managing an
economy (as some people seem want to do in
campaigns), nor in designing the best vehicle
(as others seem to want to do in what I term
test-bed games), but rather in taking a set of
constraints (mission, resources, terrain, etc)
and developing a force to operate in that
terrain or in a particular mission profile. And
then, of course, Murphy being the good friend
that he is, throwing them into situations they
aren't entirely perfectly suited for. This is just
the kind of thing that can make for gripping and
inventive play.

I also try, as a gamemaster/referee, to
encourage my players to think of the situation
and act accordingly, even though, as a gamer,
they may know something that their units
probably do not (when I'm lazy enough not to
do double blind). And if I'm doing something
like a deliberate attack on a static defense, I
allow both players a lot of lattitude in setup
including asking for things I never thought of.

One case was a game of Challenger
microarmour, with Gulf War 1990's setting -
Brits and US forces taking a seaside town. The
Iraqi commander was waaaay outgunned, but
he had his infantry (he had a fair pile) dig a
*lot* of earth to setup fake minefields and to
string wire around them and post warning
signs. I hadn't considered that and had only
issued him a small length of real minefields,
which he wisely placed to the flanks. But his
broad front, open to attack, was never tested
due to the apparent minefields. That, and the
cockiness and lack of mission focus of the Allied
force spelled their doom (obsessing about one
infantry platoon on a hill, they thought, and
deploying a company of infantry and several
platoons of armour to attack the hill, meanwhile
stopping their attack dead.... and sending their
apaches flying down main street.... only to eat a
SAM or two....).

The point being it seems to me the challenge
that I enjoy from GZG games is not a number
cruncher/bean counter/engineering one. It isn't
"how can I build the best FT ship" (because
really, I'm still constrained by the rules and so
there won't be anything new... just a different
assembly of parts moulded to attack
weaknesses). Nor is the challenge who can win
what equal odds battle. Those are so rare in
the real world as to be phantasmal.

No, the real challenge I see is in having a well
crafted scenario where a force has a mission
(on both sides) for which it may or may not be
well suited and where you know something (but
not everything) about your potential opposition
(your intel knows their standard vehicle designs
and formation sizes, though not exactly what
might appear, etc) and where the challenge is
in fulfilling your mission in the best and most
effective manner. A game that perhaps leans
closer to a simulation than "just a game".

To bastardize Gandalf.... "It is not yours to
decide your situation, but it is yours to decide
what to do about/with your situation". Therein
lies the meat.

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: RE: Unsubing for deployment, JA Next: Re: Battletech and 3D ship images