Prev: OT Battle-tech (was Re: DS: Walkers) Next: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

Re: DS: Walkers

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 21:04:24 -0500
Subject: Re: DS: Walkers

At 03:58 PM 2/7/03 -0800, you wrote:

>--- John Crimmins <johncrim@voicenet.com> wrote:
>
>> If you're the one doing all the design work, as I am
>> at the moment, this
>> obviously isn't a problem.  If you're designing your
>> troops while your
>> opponenet is designing his own...well, if you're
>> both reasonable folks, and
>> willing/able to discuss things before gaming, I
>> wouldn't imagine there'd be
>> much of a problem.
>
>That's a big "if," sadly.

The latter, you mean?  Understandable -- it's easy enough to cooperate
with
yourself; when you add in extra people it becomes significantly more
difficult....  But surely, setting some ground rules wouldn't be
impossible, would it?  Especially if you're working from a common
background.

I'm not talking, you understand, about designing size one vehicles that
mount half a dozen class 5 HKPs.  I did things like:

Give the Grav tanks -- the fastest things on the board -- armor much
lighter than they could carry under the rules.	Size 4 vehicles with
level
3 armor in the front facing, for example.

Allow Slow Tracked vehicles to have *heavier* armor than than the rules
allow, along with bigger guns (this turned out to be a bit excessive,
but
not as overwhelming as it could have been -- one or the other next time,
not both....)

Gave vehicles with fixed gun an automatic level of steath to reflect
their
lower profile.

...and suchlike.

I've also got a scenario that I want to run that will pit a low-tech
army
against a much smaller force of Ultra-tech tanks.  The advanced force is
going to have MBTs that use VTOL movement -- FULL anti-gravity, as I see
it.  This one will require a lot of play-testing, mind, and some tweaks
regarding fire against VTOLs...but damn, it should be a lot of fun.
I'll
run the low-tech troops -- I love playing the underdog.  Really gives
you
something to strive for.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: OT Battle-tech (was Re: DS: Walkers) Next: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...