Prev: Walkers vs Mecha was RE: Walkers Next: [ISO] Picture Source/Artist

RE: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:51:45 GMT
Subject: RE: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

In message
<OF5D2968D1.6304C37C-ON86256CC6.0055214B-86256CC6.00559518@nebraska.edu>
	  devans@nebraska.edu wrote:

> ***
> What about a Nova cannon?
>
> What are people's thoughts on this? Could a low power Nova round be
used to
> destroy a city?
> ***
>
> My thought would be that this would require a great adjustment of
focus,
> not necessarily power. It's a shotgun blast from a short barrel, by
it's
> described effect.
>
> Take out continents or hemispheres, difficult to do single cities.
>
> On the other hand, I also assume it would be even less effective
through
> atmosphere than other ordinance.
>
> 'Honey, put on the high-SPF sunscreen and dark glasses; we're being
> nova-cannoned.'
>
> *shrug* It always seemed a trifle silly unless I actually had to face
it at
> the speeds my games flew.
>
> The_Beast

Checking my records - we had a discussion on a similar topic (orbital
bombardment) almost exactly a year ago :-)

Nova Cannon vs. planets

The description in FT of the Nova Cannon is of an out-of-control plasma
reactor launched from a huge railgun, I guess if it hit a planet, a
number of possible outcomes could result:

1) The nova generator breaks up in the upper atmosphere, resulting from
anything from a harmless bright flash to a widespread EMP pulse through
to widespread radioactive fallout (depending of what exact PSB you are
using for the Nova Cannon) - disruption of the planets magnetic field
and/or an ozone hole are also possibilities.

2) The nova generator reaches the ground - BANG! medium size (up to a
few 100 m across at most), possibly radioactive, crater results (with
side effects).

3) As 2), but Nova Generator burns into planets crust - new volcano
results.

Given the accuracy (or lack thereof) of a Nova Cannon, the attacker will
probably no be able to target anything much smaller than a continent.

My 2p.

Charles

Prev: Walkers vs Mecha was RE: Walkers Next: [ISO] Picture Source/Artist