Prev: Battletech-to-DS Size Classes, was Walkers Next: RE: Walkers

Re: DS: Walkers

From: Brian Bilderback <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:48:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: DS: Walkers

>From a realism standpoint it's arguably very
well-thought out.  From a gaming standpoint, it may be
too harsh (unless you WANT it harsh).  I like making
certain aspects of the game as accurate and realistic
as possible, but I do understand that there's both a
science and a fiction aspect to Science Fiction, and
believe in a certain level of SOD.

Most of my complaints about Battletech had to do with
the tedium level associated with resolving damage. (we
usually spent more time marking little boxes than
actually manouvering and firing).

And while I felt they favored necha TOO heavily, they
were what the game was about, and some people like
them -- so I'd rather see them as a balanced option,
with strengths and drawbacks, not something that's
overpowering to the point of dominance, NOR restricted
to the point of irrelevance.

<20030207011009.11384.qmail@web20308.mail.yahoo.com>,
> [...]
> Infantry walkers can only mount Class one weaponry.
> Combat and Transport
> Walkers can mount Class one weapons as desired but
> other weapons are
> more restricted. Maximum turret weapon Class is  two
> less than the
> walker Size. Maximum 'arm' weapon Class is one less
> than the Walker
> Size. Maximum Weapon size is equal to the walker
> size. Missiles are
> exempt from these additional restrictions however.
> Walkers aren't good
> at absorbing recoil, not optimally designed for
> mounting weapons and
> have to keep their weight down.
>
> Movement
> Infantry walkers use mechanised movement
> characteristics and have an MV
> of four which costs 80% of BPV. All other walkers
> have a speed of six,
> or eight if enhanced. They certainly cannot run.
> Walker movement costs
> 100% of BPV or 120% if Enhanced. Walking vehicles
> have much more trouble
> than other vehicles when faced with the possibility
> of Miring. In
> conditions where a walker might be subject to
> Miring, it rolls a Quality
> die. If the roll is less than or equal to the
> walkers Size Class then it
> is immobilised as the damage Chit. A walker that
> Mires must roll again.
> A second Mire result means that the Walker has
> fallen over or is up to
> it's neck in something. If it survives the fall, it
> still counts as
> destroyed as it will require disproportionate effort
> to recover and may
> have taken substantial damage. An AEV or ARV will be
> required to 'pull
> out' a mired walker, but it requires time outside a
> scenario and the use
> of an ARV to recover a 'double-mired' walker.
> Walkers may not self-
> recover from miring.
>
>	  Walkers
> Easy	  N/a
> Normal  Open, Roads
> Poor	  Hills,  Sand, Cultivated, Light Scrub,
> Rough, Rivers/Streams at
> a ford
> Difficult	  Light woods, Dunes*, Urban*, Swamp*,
> Open water*
> Impassable	  Mountains, Dense woods
>
> * A Miring roll is always required at the mid point
> of movement.
>
> Falling Over
> A hazard glossed over in most Mech games. To resolve
> a fall, draw chits
> equal to Size Class, with Red and Special Chits
> valid. If the walker
> survives this abuse, it will need the assistance of
> an ARV of equal or
> greater size to regain it's feet.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Symon Cook (founder member of Camros)(The Campaign
> for Real Operating Systems).
> "You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he

=====
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Prev: Battletech-to-DS Size Classes, was Walkers Next: RE: Walkers