Prev: Re: [OT] Space Programs was: Columbia Next: Re: [OT] Columbia

Re: [OT] Columbia

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 06:32:56 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Columbia

"laserlight@quixnet.net" wrote:

> I have the opportunity to write an editorial on the benefits of the
space
> program (ie "why spending it Up There makes more sense than putting it
into
> social programs").  I can wander around the web looking for the data
but I
> figured it's likely someone on this List can point me in the right
> direction.  Suggestions?

Communications Satellites and Satellite TV
Weather Satellites
Terestrial imagery and environmental monitoring- mapping, forest fires,
military spy satellites, Ozone hole monitoring, pollution tracing, sea
level
measurements, archaeological surveys ....

That said, I don't like the simplistic line of arguing you seem to
propose -
either space exploration or social programs. There are other aspects of
government spendng that might be considered and argued for or against in
that context - military, infrastructure, other science, administrative
costs, economic suppport of ailing industries, foreign aid. And - quite
important - money well spent or squandered even in a good cause. We all
know
of acquirement scandals, pork-barrel and corruption.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [OT] Space Programs was: Columbia Next: Re: [OT] Columbia