Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: Re: [FT] Operational game

Re: [FT] Operational game

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:56:19 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Operational game

> > 3. given how powerful fighters are, I have a feeling
> > most planets will be issued squadrons even if the
> > fleet isn't ported there.
> >
> > Speaking of that, has anyone come up with a way to
> > balance fighters?  I remember the issue was bandied
> > about for a while.
>
> Last I heard the playtest list was trying a few things out.  The
problem
> with fighters is that they provide an exponential increase in
effectiveness,
> not a linear increase which makes pointing them difficult in one-off
games.

For planet based fighters, reduce the fighters endurance by having them
climb out of the gravity well of the planet.  This will both delay the
fighters availablity by the time it takes to climb out and reduce the
effect
by limiting the time they can spend in combat.	Note that this could
make
long range fighters rather common for squadrons based on planets, which
is
good because the cost more.

ias

Prev: Re: [FT] Operational game Next: Re: [FT] Operational game