Prev: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question Next: Re: Search for a book

Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:09:36 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

At 9:45 AM -0800 1/23/03, John Atkinson wrote:

>That's a lot of assets escorting it, though.  Doesn't
>that give it away.

It all depends on the mode of the battle. I tend to have a reserve
force nearby so when you get all those assets on the field, ARVs, a
CEV or two, reserves, C4I and local guards, as well as artillery,
their supply vehicles and a CBR you tend to loose the C4I in the mass
of little figures. Sure, he could walk around and count antennas
(they're modeled) but then I don't play with people that do that....

>Easiest way to deal with AA?  Us US doctrine from
>Air-Land era.	VTOLs to strip out the AA in a specific
>corridor using GMS/Hs.  Then the attack aircraft have
>a clear shot.

I use the Aerospace for that with VTOLs supporting. I've done both,
but I tend to like a light force with the Aerospace doing this in
large amounts. The transient nature of the Aerospace helps their
survival rate. Plus I've actually got more of those than heavily
armed VTOLs. I do have one entire company of medium lift Transport
VTOLs and a 4 ship detachment of heavy transport VTOLs.

The Higher amount of Aerospace with heavy weapons outweighs the Heavy
attack VTOLs though.

>Of course, my commanders also lead from front at
>company level (and I do believe in companies from a
>unit cohesion standpoint).  Even my BN commanders are

Same here. I tend to have a Company Command platoon of 2-3 tanks/APCs
close to their companies or acting as an ersatz reserve in addition
to the platoon or coy that I've set aside as a reserve.

>issued tanks and expected to be in them--let the XO
>run the TOC.  You can tell where they are--all other
>tanks are in 4s, these are singles or in pairs.

Btn XO and CO are in the 2 extra TOCs. Co XOs are assumed to be in
one of the platoons as an attached element or distinct element. I
don't really model that Co Sgt or XO as a separate element unless
I've got some other element riding herd with one of the vehicles. Btn
XOs and NCOs or some senior type like them, tend to ride herd on the
ARVs, AEVs/AVLBs, and other similar units in an APC. I've even been
known to have a unit refueling point in a rear area just placed as a
neat thing on the table (no points cost really, but no combat
result's either, sometimes it's an objective though).

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question Next: Re: Search for a book