Prev: DSII: Command Unit Question Next: RE: DSII: Command Unit Question

Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:10:13 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

At 8:59 AM -0800 1/23/03, Brian Bilderback wrote:
>A discussion has come up on the Yahoo SG/FT discussion
>group regarding Command Units in DSII.  A couple of
>the members have pointed out that while the DSII rules
>give capacity and points for a C3 suite, and some
>nasty consequences for losing one, there is no
>specific rule requiring you field one (I haven't had
>time to verify this myself).  They are arguing that in
>this case, it doesn't make sense to field one on the
>board, but rather it should be placed off-board like
>artillery.

My understanding is that if the C4I suite isn't on table, you can't
rally units.
My additional understanding is that you can take multiple C4I suites
on table in order to maintain command and control in the case of the
destruction of one of the C4I suites.

I personally tend to take more than one C4I post in battles larger
than 2 companies per side. One gets dug in on defensive missions
(APC/Tent setup dug in), one stays mobile. Typically one gets a pair
of tanks, a AAA and a pair of APCs around it as an escort.
Considering it's similar to all of the other figures on the table my
opponent has to fight his way to it after making sure it's what it
is. It tends to stay behind hill features or inside towns though.

The biggest problem for them is the Airstrike from Aerospace craft.
I've got a pretty good technique of stripping away AAA with repeated
air strikes on opponent's AAA quicker than they can strip mine away.
Once the Iron Hand's have dealt their blows a few bombers come in and
deliver close strikes on choice targets or key positions. If I get a
shot at the C4I I always take it. The ensuing chaos taught me early
on that multiple C4I's on my own side would be a great boon. So far
I've only lost one of several in a game.

>My argument is that given the fact that there are no
>listed added bonuses to fielding one (other than the
>ability to C&C), and the fact that it is listed, it
>probably was INTENDED to be a requisite.  Furthermore,
>given that some of the penalties for losing one are
>for it's destruction, but others are for it's absence
>(inability to rally e.g.), it seems to be IMPLIED that
>it's required.  The conclusion I reach is that if the
>rules really DON'T explicitly require fielding one,
>they certainly do implicitly, and it must merely be an
>omission.

The 2nd Commander is required for Rallying. You can't rally with out
the "Old Man" bitching out the Platoon Leader to get up to that 2nd
phase line. Troops aren't likely to rally because the old man said so
from a nice safe bunker 75 miles to the rear.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: DSII: Command Unit Question Next: RE: DSII: Command Unit Question