Prev: [OT] Maps Next: Re: [OT] Maps

[OT] Interesting Facts of Canadian Military Life

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:37:33 -0500
Subject: [OT] Interesting Facts of Canadian Military Life

Glenn joked:
Canada has an army big enough to require
Generals?  Oh,
that's classified, right?

[Tomb] Glenn, you probably don't realize
this, but at one point, we had more
generals (flag rank people) per soldier (non-
flag rank) than anyone else in NATO: 1 per
1000 men in uniform. The nearest
competitor was Denmark or someone with
1 per 27000 or something like that. We
actually joked about forming up an infantry
company of flag rank officers at NDHQ for
emergency purposes before we realized
that the logistics tail would be...
unmanageable to say the least. I think
we've trimmed back some since the
heyday, but the idea was that we'd have
enough general staff to quickly fill out the
forces in times of crisis (like maybe if WW1
happened again....). This doctrine failed to
note the fact that in today's world, trained
*soldiers* is what takes time to produce
and that you can't just stick a rifle in a guys
hand and make him a good infantryman
overnight. That takes time and training.
And its worse in other trades.

And as for your comments about the
Militias just south of the border, that
actually makes a surprising amount of
sense. But acquiring surplus webbing in
Canada (even to replace bits of your own
issued kit that had "gone walkabout") was
a challenge. I eventually ended up with two
full sets, but it took me years to acquire
them. And one whole set was
"permanently borrowed" by someone in my
unit who quietly faded out with no
forwarding address.

Besides, the Yankee Militias wouldn't like
our gear for compatibility reasons. I don't
think (haven't seen latest US LBE) that we
use the same clip arrangements. US used
ALICE clips far longer than we did. The sad
part is, they might have been better. The
webgear I used required certain pouches to
be present to hook together at all (unlike
most of the older yokes) and they used
plastic clips which tended to get nubs
broken off during installation.

Now, mind you, the new load bearing
equipment (the vests) look very cool and
very adaptable, but I haven't actually got to
handle any of those yet. And of course, I'm
sure the pam for building your LBE is still a
matter of need-to-know.... :)

Tomb
"Too many generals spoil the army"

Mr. Thomas Barclay