Prev: Re: Virginia Heinlein Next: Re: QX

Re: QX

From: Aaron Teske <mithramuse@n...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:25:33 -0500
Subject: Re: QX

At 11:25 AM 1/20/03 +0000, Richard wrote:
>I'm reading the last of them now (Masters Of the Vortex). I had just
>assumed that they were just an equivalent to OK, just used to show some

>difference in the language (another example being "Clear Ether" and
usage
>of words like "Flit" and so on) they do give the books a stragely,
>not-written-today feel, which I think kinda works though I have never
>attempted to copy in my own writing (maybe I should).

Changing the language does make things more interesting.  If you haven't

read it, try to find Eluki bes Shahar's "Butterfly and Hellflower,"
which
is the book club compilation of "Hellflower," "Darktraders," and
"Archangel
Blues."  She has a lot of fun with language development and even
commenting
on it within the story (from the point of view of a "Librarian," a
sentient
computer).  Good books. ^_^

>Never before thought of Q and X being similar to O and K before, that's

>quite clever...

Yeah, I missed that, though what with typing and all I tend to type in
"okay" rather than OK just because I don't want to hit the shift key.
<grin>	So I, too, missed the shift... Phil is probably right on that
one,
though why they would move away from the easier "O" to a "Q" is a bit of
question.  But who can tell...?

'Til later,
					 Aaron Teske
					 mithramuse@njaccess.com

Prev: Re: Virginia Heinlein Next: Re: QX