Prev: Re: [OT] Corruption Next: DS/SG: Rules for area-effect "Thor" and "Rocks"

[OT] Corruption

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 02:13:41 -0500
Subject: [OT] Corruption

Someone mentioned Mexico. I had a female
friend (travelling with another female friend)
take a midnight bus from somewhere to
somewhere else in Southern Mexico. They were
the only two bus riders - they didn't think much
of it, being as it was late. They got stopped by
the police (which also didn't really setoff any
alarms, because they are Canadian and our
Cops are mostly pretty decent) and the driver
seemed... very disturbed and agitated. The
police came in and talked with them, asked
them where they were from, etc. My friend, out
of spontaneous good nature (she's a peach)
offered the copper a handfull of Werthers from
her pocket. The cop seemed taken aback.... but
flattered. He wished them a good night and
they carried on. When they got to <insert
destination, I forget>, people asked them "How
did you get here?" "Bus." "The Midnight Run?"
"Yes? (puzzled)" "Oh, Madre Di Dios! Are you
all right? Were you stopped by the police?"
"Yes. We chatted with them. I gave the officer a
Werthers. It wasn't a big deal - why?" "!!!!!! -
Last night, they stopped the bus, took
everyone's money, made everyone undress and
walk into town." "!!!!!!! Oh....!!!!!"

Motto: Always carry a Werthers and offer it to
those who might mean you harm. (Or perhaps,
if you are a Tom Baker fan, a Jelly Baby). Of
course, having a whopping quantity of dumb
ass luck can't hurt either.

A comedian was joking about there always
being one loner/maladjusted guy at each
workplace, that no one will talk to. He
mentioned how he'd talk to the guy, bring him
coffee, give him a chocolate bar, etc. whenever
he saw him. Why? So that when he finally
snapped and was raging around the office with
an AK-47, it'd be "Die you vermin... bang bang
bang!.... <next office> Die scum....bang bang
bang.... <next office> Die yo.... errr... wait a
minute.... that was a damn good coffee... carry
on....<next office> Die you dirtbag .... bang
bang bang.... etc."

Despite it being a kind of grim joke, there is a
grain of truth to it.

And as a high tech example of corruption:
Working on a project for a government owned
corporation. We need information from another
company that works with the government as
they worked on the last version of this item.
They are competing with us on some other
bids, so the channel closes. One of our
developers knows someone who works there,
so he calls over and acquires what we want
through the "old boys and girls network". Of
course, this would have got the someone in big
trouble if he or she were caught. Sometimes a
bit of "corruption" gets the (technical) task
done when business logic (oxymoron) is
standing in the way.

Of course, plenty of other times it results in
single sourcing of contracts, requirements
being signed off near the end of the contract
after the product is developed, assisting the
client in developing the requirements (of
course, to the limit of the money they have
available!), etc.

No, of course free trade promotes no
corruption.... (in the government!)......

;)
Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: [OT] Corruption Next: DS/SG: Rules for area-effect "Thor" and "Rocks"