Prev: RE: HAPPY NEW YEAR Next: Irregular 6 mm or 10 mm SF troops

Re: [OT] Satellites and Xmas

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 01:55:16 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT] Satellites and Xmas

>>And then you find out that perhaps you
>>*have* reinvented the wheel, but it really
>>doesn't make you any less clever
>>necessarily. Just somewhat ignorant of
>>prior developments, but with the amount of
>>development going on in one project (let
>>alone the sum total of the publicly
>>accessible Internet), does this really
>>surprise anyone?
>>

>And then you discover that someone else has patented the obvious code
>that makes the wheel and your company is the recipient of a law suit.
:(

>Roger

Talking about patents...

When I was working for Lucent Technologies in the emergency services
group (911) we
had a great idea to take the address being sent (lookup against the
phone number returning
the address) and displaying the location on a map. It turns out that
someone had patented
the idea of displaying a location based on the phone number. Mind you
they could not
patent the display on the map based on the address. So:

patented: not challenged
phone number -> map display

not patented: used for years
phone number -> address

not patented: used for years
address -> map display

could infringe on patent
phone number -> address   address ->  map display

The company decided not to go with the system even though it could have
been a great
feature due to the "potential" of a  law suit. : (

Scott

Prev: RE: HAPPY NEW YEAR Next: Irregular 6 mm or 10 mm SF troops