Prev: Re: Limits of technology Next: Re: Limits of technology

Re: Limits of technology

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:02:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Limits of technology

John Atkinson wrote:

> >Do you seriously believe that Australia is the only country which has
this
> >type of artillery-delivered jamming capability? If so, think again.
There
> >are several other countries who have it too... including some which I
could
> >see the US fight in our lifetime, and some which would sell this
technology
> >to countries the US appearently plan to fight in near-time.
>
>No--but I do think it'll take a gutsy artilleryman to shoot 'em at us.
:)

As long as you don't use GPS-guided rounds or bombs to try and hit them
with ;-) And let's hope that the comm links from the artillery tracking
radars aren't jammed, too <g>

>Seriously, that's an interesting idea.  What is being looked at as a
>countermeasure?

Apart from "more jam-resistant comm systems", I'm afraid I can't tell
you
much :-(

>The flop side of this is that if someone else does it, we can do it
too.

Certainly - but most others don't rely quite as much on high-capacity
comm
networks and GPS navigation as you do (especially with your new
networked
C4I systems), so you might not get as large an effect out of your
jammers
as they got from theirs.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Limits of technology Next: Re: Limits of technology