Prev: Re: Limits of technology Next: Re: [sfconsim-l] Cross Fingers...

RE: Limits of technology

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:31:27 -0700
Subject: RE: Limits of technology

Actually the NTC site lists the MILES rating for the T-80 main gun as
2400M which is a number that most places list as the effective range,
although the maximum range is 4500M.  Using other listings for a number
for the M256 120mm smoothbore of the M1A2, the effective range using
APFSDS is 3500M while HEAT is only 2000M.  HEAT has been found to be
less effective against reactive armor which equipped the T-72's that
OPFOR used.

NTC currently only fields the T-80 for OPFOR, the T-72 considered
obsolete.

Also from the NTC site ( http://www.irwin.army.mil/ )are listed other
OPFOR weapons:

AT-8 ATGM with 3750M range
AT-5 ATGM with 4000M range
AT-3 ATGM with 3000M range

the ATGM's list that the launcher must remain stationary for 8-10
seconds when firing for guidance.

Some other sites mention that the AT-5 uses the same MILES stats as the
TOW.  I would assume that the AT-5B with the tandem warhead would be
rated with similar numbers as the TOW-2 or 2A with tandem warheads.
Rated penetration for tandem warheads is 925mm of RHA (roughly three
feet).	Obviously new composite armors are a tougher material vs. HEAT,
but still a couple of feet of penetration is not insignificant.  I don't
know if the AT-5 has been uprated to top-attack like the TOW-2B.

--Binhan

<<SNIP>>