Prev: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2 Next: Re: Use of Elite SF

Re: Use of Elite SF

From: Don Greenfield <gryphon223@a...>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 19:53:24 -0700
Subject: Re: Use of Elite SF

Then I said:

>Not necessarily.  Ranger companies were
>at D-Day, and the 1st Special Service Force
>held a chunk of the line at Anzio.  Even
>discounting any historical instances, well,
>needs must when the devil drives.  If you
>need bodies to fill a hole (Battle of the
>Bulge, frex), you get them where you can.

back to Tomb:

>[Tomb] True, but this would not be what I
>would see as 'using them right' as John
>suggests. This is 'using them wrong
>because you need to'. But every trained,
>expensive, experienced elite raider you lose
>while he fights to plug a hole in LoB is
>going to cost you several times the cost of
>a normal gropo to replace. So it is an
>inefficient use of elite resources.
>Sometimes inefficient is necessary, so rules
>would be handy. But just because you must
>do a thing doesn't mean it isn't 'using them
>wrong'.

Well, I disagree somewhat.  :-)  Regarding the Rangers, while their
original purpose was raiding, if the invasion worked there wouldn't be
any
more raiding.  Using elite forces to take targets that *had* to be
taken,
even if they weren't hundreds of miles behind enemy lines is more or
less
doctrine, though I guess you could argue Pointe du Hoc wrote that role
into
Ranger doctrine.  In addition, I really can't agree with your last
sentence.  "using them wrong" implies (to me, I hasten to add) that you
had
a choice and picked the wrong one.  Doing something you must do removes
the
possibility of it being either right or wrong;	it just is [1].  This
may
very well be a personal definition thing, though.

Don
I haven't seen my post, just Tombs reply.  Weird.

[1]  It occurs to me that someone may read the above as a morality good
vs
wrong issue.  I don't mean it as such, just a correct decision vs
incorrect
decision issue.

Prev: Re: Points balance on K-guns vs Beams, part 2 Next: Re: Use of Elite SF